Rest in peace Margaret Thatcher


So, this post is on the recent death of Margaret Thatcher and all reading this will have strong opinions on her. I admit I didn't know a lot about her before she died, I knew the basics and my parents opinion on her, although, I didn't properly understand why the people who hate her, despise her so much. In all honesty, I don't agree with some of her policies, which in some aspects weren't as humane as they should've been. Saying that, I always believe there are two ways to look at a situation.

I'm not going to discuss the ins and outs of her career and which policies I do and don't agree with, but all I am going to say is that whatever anyone says, it wouldn't of changed her actions. She was a very headstrong woman who stuck by her beliefs and did not back down, and that kind of passion I admire. What other MPs had to say about Margaret Thatcher was beautiful, I especially loved what Barack Obama said about her (which I got from a newspaper article): 
  "As an unapologetic supporter of our transatlantic alliance, she knew that with strength and resolve we could win the Cold War and extend freedom's promise," Mr Obama said that Baroness Thatcher was an example to women that "there is no glass ceiling that can't be shattered... With the passing of Baroness Margaret Thatcher, the world has lost one of the great champions of freedom and liberty, and America has lost a true friend." 

I have also read that women say she did nothing for women when she was in power, although, she didn't verbally need to in my eyes. She did enough by being in the position she was in, as politics was male-dominated then and today. She had a voice which was heard and stuck by what she believed, which shows her fire and passion. Margaret Thatcher was known as "The Iron Lady", which in my eyes shows she was probably two very different people. At work she was known as "The Iron Lady" which knew what she had to get done, even though she knew she wasn't going to be liked. At home she was a wife and mother who was devoted to her family. This shows what I believe in life, that you're not always going to be liked in what you do, which is shown by what she said:
"If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared  to compromise on anything at anytime and you would achieve nothing." 
Simply for this quote, amen to her.
My interpretation of the information I've read about her is that she liked people who worked hard for what they had and did not live of the state unnecessarily. In ways I do agree with this as some of today are lazy and I've heard on stupid shows like Jeremy Kyle people say that they don't want to work because they don't need to as they get money from the state. This is unfair, as the benefit system is meant to be for those who need them, not for those who choose to have them. (I can imagine some will disagree or agree with me on that, and that is very brief on what I think on the benefit system of today and I know every circumstance is different. But I do believe I am a very fair person, or at least I try to be). I do agree with some of her beliefs and as a woman Margaret Thatcher had such incredible achievements and strong characteristics which I'll always admire.

The hatred I see on TV is disgusting, to put it simply. I think this because she was in power for about ten years, not her whole lifetime, and people simply forget she was a wife, mother and grandmother too. To most of the public, they haven't necessarily "lost" anything, but her family has. Everyone feels loss in their life, and it's a hard process so it's best to be respectful of those who are hurting in my eyes. At this time I think people need to put aside their opinions in public and respect that there is a family mourning right now. Nobody can change the past, and Margaret Thatcher is now a big part of politics history. Everyone has a right to opinions but death is such a horrible thing and not to be celebrated for the wrong reasons. Nobody should forget that she was a family woman, as well as a politician. That is one of a number of reasons why I show my respects to her and her achievements.


These were a few of my favourite quotes by her:

"I love argument. I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me - that's not their job." 

"Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country." 

"Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the high road to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction."

"If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman."

"If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at anytime and you would achieve nothing."

"It is not the creation of wealth that is wrong, but the love of money for its own sake."


LAC

No comments:

Post a Comment